Meet Our Team: James Read
Brought to life by a passion for storytelling, Pantera Press has been publishing great Australian stories since 2008.
Our goals to invest in and nurture the next generation of Australian readers and writers would not be possible without the hard work and dedication of our team.
Our latest team spotlight is shining on James Read, our Submissions Editor.
- What is it that drew you to the Publishing Industry?
I’d always had a penchant for storytelling, and had been a voracious reader. I find it rewarding helping to create emotional objects designed to induce empathy. Not to mention… my name is James Will Read. Need I say more?
- What is your favourite book?
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.
- What book would you love to see adapted to film?
That’s a hard one. There are so many I’d love to see cinematised. I’m an absolute sucker for psychological dramas, so let’s go with The Girls by Emma Cline or Social Creature by Tara Isabella Burton.
- If you could have dinner with one literary character, who would it be?
Vera Brittain, from her memoir Testament of Youth.
- What is your biggest literary pet peeve?
Definitely when people write would/should ‘of’ rather than ‘have’ – it gives me shivers!
- Do you remember the first book you read as a child?
Yes, but I can’t for the life of me remember its name! It was a picture book about an autumn leaf who struggled to gather his courage to jump off the tree with the rest of the leaves. I think I must have read that book in pre-school over a thousand times… If anyone out there knows which book this is, please let me know!
- What is your favourite quote?
“The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.” – Queen Victoria.
- What’s on your reading Spotify playlist?
Anything instrumental or classical. Depends on the book! I like to edit to composers like Max Richter. I also love film scores because their drama helps me revel in the emotionality of a text.
- What is your ideal reading location?
Curled up in bed, on a rainy day. Ideally I’ll be using those clip-on lights you attach to your book to read in the dark!
- What snack best accompanies a good book?
Bread. In all its forms. (You know I don’t discriminate.)
- If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you take with you?
I’m going to be really humble and simply ask for: 1) a house with running water, electricity and internet, 2) a double library/wardrobe that holds a plethora of books and designer clothes, and 3) all of my loved ones – if I’m going to be stranded, I’m taking all of you with me!
- If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor?
Marie Antoinette. Or Kate Hudson. Lol.
- What do you like most about your job?
You know what’s awesome? I get to try on so many fictional pairs of shoes. Reading a million books means you live a million lives. So I’m basically a wise old wizard at this stage.
- What is your guilty pleasure?
Perfume. I’ve got bottles everywhere. Or clothes, but don’t judge me… Remember that you might just be wearing your ghost outfit, so dress (and spritz) each day like it’s your last.
- Who is your ultimate book boyfriend/girlfriend?
I do love me some Peeta Mellark. Found yourself an adoring pacifist and baker? That’s like winning the lottery.