Meet Our Team: Lucy Bell
Brought to life by a passion for storytelling, Pantera Press has been publishing great Australian stories since 2008.
Our goals to invest in and nurture the next generation of Australian readers and writers would not be possible without the hard work and dedication of our team.
Our latest team spotlight is shining on Lucy Bell, our Senior Editor.
- How long have you worked in publishing?
Just over four delightful years.
- What is it that drew you to the publishing industry?
I love books as physical objects and the way they take you on an adventure without ever having to leave the comfort of your bed. Even when I was very little, I thought being an editor was the coolest job in the world, and now when I tell my three-year-old niece that my job is to make books, I feel like a superstar.
- What is your favourite book?
This is an evil question. I’m going to be a nerd and say Harry Potter because they’re probably the only books I’ll ever read and re-read without getting bored.
- What book would you love to see adapted to film?
I’ve been waiting for The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons to be made into a movie for a long time now.
- If you could have dinner with one literary character, who would it be?
- What is your biggest literary pet peeve?
Using ‘could of’, ‘would of’ and should of’ instead of ‘could have’, ‘would have’ and ‘should have’. This is just a general life peeve.
- Do you remember the first book you read as a child?
Frankel Mouse by Odo Hirsch and The Adventures of the Wishing-Chair by Enid Blyton. I can’t remember which I read first.
- What is your favourite quote?
“If we wait until we’re ready, we’ll be waiting for the rest of our lives.” – Lemony Snicket
- What is your ideal reading location?
In bed or by the fire. Anywhere warm and with a blanket.
- What snack best accompanies a good book?
A cup of tea and a block of chocolate – preferably mint, orange, coconut or Turkish delight.
- If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you take with you?
A complete kitchenware set, a case of wine and my partner, so we can go on an island cooking adventure.
- If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor?
Roald Dahl, because he teaches you to believe in magic.
- What do you like most about your job?
That on some days it doesn’t feel like a job at all.
- What is your guilty pleasure?
Cake for breakfast.
- Who is your ultimate book boyfriend/girlfriend?
I have many book boyfriends but I’m going to go with a classic: Mr Darcy. Silent, brooding and anti-social, but secretly kind and loyal to those he cares about.